Friday, October 7, 2011

Just a Quickie....

Time Flies like the Wind. Fruit Flies like Bananas. I love bad jokes. The worse the better. And I'm always looking for excuses to throw them into places where they're at best barely relevant. But I thought this one was because I've been at my site for over a month now, which is hard to believe.

Well, maybe not, now that I think about it. Things are definitely starting to become more routine. My students are adapting to my style of teaching (even if they do leave class most days thinking I'm crazy). My villagers are getting used to seeing a random mzungu (foreigner) walking around and no longer ask me if I'm lost or need help. And my insect population is learning it's limits (even though they still sometimes like to push them).

And I think I'm definitely getting used to things here too. The frantic bus rides aren't quite so hair-raising with a local mama or another teacher to chat with and distract you. The big classes aren't quite so intimidating when they're speckled with faces you recognize. The charcoal jiko (stove) isn't as impossible to conquer once you've swapped tips with other volunteers. And the insane maze that is the market doesn't seem quite as chaotic once you learn to look for the banana truck (a big rig literally full of nothing but bananas, that happens to be my new favorite landmark).

So I'd say all in all, I'm settling into life here. And it feels great.

Oh, and I'm getting calouses on my fingers from washing my clothes by hand. Physical proof that this is making me tougher!


"I can't complain but sometimes I still do""

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Melinda! It's Michael, Justin's Dad and Arran's friend.

    I was thinking about you on the drive home from work, wondering how you were doing, adjusting, settling in, and decided to check for updates when I got home.

    I love your musings! I don't know when exactly, but we'd love to send you a care package and some things to help you fill up your free time.

    Know that we love you and pray for you, your students, and the work you are doing there.

    Hugs,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of bad jokes, Melinda: what's Beethoven's favorite fruit?

    :)

    Glad to hear you're adjusting so well and enjoying yourself over there!

    -Haley

    ReplyDelete