Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ramblings about my new site

I’m just gonna pick up where I left off….so my new site’s not too shabby. The village is definitely bigger than my last one which is cool cause it means I can buy more things in the vill instead of having to haul them in from town. It’s definitely still got that village feel though, in that everyone knows everyone else, feeds each other’s kids, and gossips on a scale that would make American high schools look like nunneries.

The area is really pretty. I’m right at the base of Mt Hanang, which is Tanzania’s third highest peak and a (hopefully) dormant volcano. And the village is situated right next to a saltwater lake and some wetland-esque areas that I still haven’t properly explored yet. Bado kidogo. People tell me that you can’t swim in the lake with the rational ironically being that it’s too muddy that you’ll sink. This is usually accompanied by some wide-eyes and very serious head shaking. But I’ll probably still try once the weather warms up (its rainy season right now – more on that later). So yes, lake very scenic. And it means that getting water is no longer a huge problem like it was in Singida, in fact there’s a bomba (essentially a spicket like you’d have at a campsite) right on my school campus. Unfortunately the water is salty and not very fun to drink, but the locals swear I’ll get used to it. I’m skeptical about that one, but we’ll see.
Anyways, I’ve got a front porch from where I can see Mt Hanang in one direction (well, when it’s not trying to be all mysterious and hiding behind clouds, that is), the lake and wetlands in the opposite direction, and then nothing but lush green rolling hills everywhere else. Spoiled, no?

The people here are mainly from either the Barabaig or Iraqw tribes. Both still pretty much keep to their traditional lifestyle and the cultures are very….how can I describe it…colorful, to say the least. They’re pastoralists, so they raise livestock and are always herding them around in search of greener pastures, so to speak. I don’t think I’ve ever once travelled the 15km or so journey from my village to Katesh without having to wait for a herd of cattle or goats or sheep or donkeys to get out of the road. But hey there’s no rush when you’re on African time (did I mention those 15 km takes over an hour?). So yes, the people are pretty traditional, and because of this, it means a lot of them haven’t travelled very far from the village. And since I’m the first Peace Corps volunteer here, they pretty much have no idea what to make of me. I’ve got plenty of work ahead of me in terms of integrating into this community.

All in all, while I miss my old village and the people there, I find that there’s something irresistibly exciting about discovering a new place. Here goes nothing.
OH, I recently received two AMAZING packages! A huge thanks to my Uncle Carlo and Aunt Sandy and to my Dad for thinking of me and sending me lots of goodies.


“Everyone is just a stranger, but that’s the danger, in going my own way….Guess it’s the price I have to pay”

5 comments:

  1. is your address/PO Box still the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, how come there's no mention of the awesome ex b/f who helped set up all the washing lines and lights at your new site, and figured out the internetyness that you are now using to write blog entries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arron,

    Many kudos to you!!! She's so lucky to have you do that for her. Miss you Too
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your new home sounds great, I see that your boyfriend was there to help, im so happy for you and thank you for writing such a great blog and sharing with us of what you see and do. Be safe always. We love you so much and miss you lots.
    Uncle Carlo and Anti Sandy.

    ReplyDelete